Tuesday 22 July 2014

Plantain soup with Sishuan pepper



       Today I’m writing about one of the soups I have been eating during this special period of my diet: a plantain soup and one magic ingredient – Sishuan pepper.
       I have recently eaten a plantain soup at the restaurant The Food Temple, in Lisbon- The Food Temple -  and I loved it! The following days were devoted to trying to reach the taste I had experienced.
    Each chef gives his own interpretation to every recipe but the result obtained with my soup was just delicious!
    My final touch was to add a few grains of Sishuan pepper that my friend Catarina brought from China - Stepping Out of Babylon | Travel Blog : a hot and fragrant flavor pepper , filled with a strong and stimulating aroma. It activated  some of my tongue’s nerve fibers  which were completely unknown to me! 

   Plantains are a super fruit, rich in natural sugars, fiber and potassium. A nutritious and very energetic fruit which is low in fat. This type of bananas is not yet well known here in Portugal -large and green, less sweet than other varieties and not to be eaten eaten raw.

Ingredients:
(serves 4)

3 big plantains 
1.5 l  home made vegetable stock ​​(approximately)
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 medium sized onion
3 tbsp olive oil
salt to taste
Sishuan pepper to taste  (you can buy it in chinese supermarkets)

Wash the plantains and put them in the pressure cooker. Cook between 25 to 30 minutes, depending on how green the plantains are.
Meanwhile, chop the onion and sauté in olive oil.
Remove the pressure from the pressure cooker. Peel the plantains and cut them to small pieces.

Add the plantains to the onion and add the curry powder. Mix it well and add the vegetable stock. 
Blend, season with salt and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the garam masala and taste.
If necessary, add more vegetable stock, depending on the consistency you want the soup to have.
Serve and garnish with Sishuan pepper.


Bon appétit!
© veggie delicious food, July  2014

No comments:

Post a Comment